The Historic Twin Inn is located on the corner of the Pacific Coast way 101 and Carlsbad Village Drive, 33 miles north of San Diego in Carlsbad. This historic home was built in 1887, by Gerhard Schutte.
In 1919, a chef named Eddie Kentner bought the mansions, turning them into The Twin Inns and they became famous for their Chicken Dinners. The inn (a restaurant and events location, not a hotel) happened to open in time with Prohibition, becoming a popular stop for the Hollywood crowd on their way from Los Angeles to Tijuana. The Twin Inns had liquor too. Ed “Bup” Kentner Jr. told Carlsbad Magazine for an article on The Twin Inns, “There was a call button on the back of the house for the bootleggers to use when they delivered. It’s probably still there.” Eddie Kentner with daughters Dorothy “D.D.” and Katherine “Toots”, Kentner had five children, all of whom worked at the inn, as did his wife, her parents, and her sister.
Eddie Kentner made the Twin Inns known for their all-you-can-eat family-style chicken dinners. (The Inn had its own huge chicken farm.) Dinner went like this:
Cream of tomato soup
Salad with Thousand Island dressing
Chicken served with gravy, hash browns, peas, biscuits and corn fritters
All served in Blue Willow china
The Wadsworth mansion was torn down in 1950. The remaining “Schutte” mansion, known as “The Twin Inn” is currently home to Sun Diego Boardshops, North County Family Bicycles , The Land & Water (restaurant) and offices.